Sunday, November 18, 2007

A surreal thought

I look out from the window…the pathway next to my house, is getting crowded. The same street, which, till a few hours back, was the preserve of some stray dogs & cats, becomes a beehive of human activity.

Life, which took a break for few hours, gets back into action-mode. Leaning against the ledge, I see a wave of humans; slowly turn into a tide, enroute to the ocean of humanity. Philosophical as it may sound, but sitting there, with only my solitude for company, I couldn’t help but wonder, where does this eventually lead us? Cannot we lead a more meaningful existence? Cannot we relish and cherish this wonderful gift of life, more completely? Cannot we understand, what Life truly stands for?

Thoughts, which cross my mind, at this moment, not because I am just recovering from a Saturday-night hangover, but because it doesn’t hurt to introspect. Perhaps the time couldn’t have been more opportune. A night of bohemian frenzy, filled with excitement, which only money can buy, and heady thrill of ‘living it up’ saw me being high on life, a few nights ago. The same night also my life come to a grinding halt as, in my drunken reverie, I crashed the latest object of my monetary lust, into a wall, on my way back to reality of life. So much for the hedonism-induced recklessness, which a late-20’s professional normally experiences. So much for the adrenalin-charged, roller-coaster version of life, which we seem to accept whole-heartedly. So much, for ‘Living it up’.

The fragility of life was thrust into my face, by that one accident. What was a life full of euphoria, overnight turned into a life of unrealized dreams. The slap of fate left me in a state of despair. A little remorseful, perhaps more resentful at being handed this ‘ raw deal’…after all, I was just enjoying the fruits of my hard work ( my credo being- I work Hard and I Party Harder!)..

P.S- the above piece is just a figment of my imagination. But my vivid imagination sometimes gives me the creeps!!

1 comment:

Sangeeta Iyer said...

Nice piece Nilesh, and well-written too! Bring them on... more often!!!